Not only is she passionate about her work, she is equally commpassionate with her patients. She does not sugar coat the world for you, and let's you know there are expectations to your own healing. Probably the biggest thing I've learned from her is that there isn't a pill for everything, so quit expecting a doctor to make YOU feel better. Sometimes, you're better off if you really look within yourself and make the changes needed to get the life you want.
I know a lot of people think Chiropratic is some sort of quackery - but, I'm sorry, when I continuously feel better under her care, I am a true believer. You know me too, I'm an inherent skeptic about *most* things. I think at this point in my journey, however, I was an open book to anything that came my way. So many other "conventional" medical opinions weren't helping me. It was time to search other options. (It also helped that my gynocologist, an MD, who I've known and trusted for 10 years recommended going to a chiropractor for help)
from the website: http://www.spineguys.com/why_chiropractic/myths.asp
here are some fun facts:
The Chiropractic Philosophy
The chiropractic perspective on health and disease emphasizes two fundamental concepts:
- the structure and condition of the body influences how the body functions and its ability to heal itself; and
- the mind-body relationship is instrumental in maintaining health and in the healing processes.
Although chiropractic shares much with other health professions, its emphasis and application of philosophy distinguishes it from modern medicine. Chiropractic philosophy gravitates toward a holistic ("total person") approach to healing which combines elements of the mind, body and spirit and maintains that health depends on obedience to natural laws, and that deviation from such laws can result in illness.
Chiropractic Philosophy includes:
So, if you also know me - I'm a "TAKE CHARGE" personality. OK! I CAN DO THIS! I'M TAKING CONTROL NOW. NO MORE SELF PITY AND BLAME. From here on out I was determined to research the hell out of what could potentially be causing all of my symptoms, what could be causing me to not be able to get pregnant. The next doctor I went to, I was not going to just buy what they were selling at face value. I was going to challenge the doctors and question EVERYTHING. Its MY body, its up to ME to heal it. "Understanding the cause of illness in order to eliminate it, rather than simply treat symptoms"....yeah, I like that!
Two specific instances that maybe will help make you a believer in the Chiropractic field too:
(Here comes the part for more TMI - another warning)
One of my major symptoms is extreme, chronic constipation. For the past two years, I will only "go' about once every 7-10 days. It's extremely uncomfortable and painful, and no amount of Mylanta, laxative, prune juice, or coffee will help. I can literally gain 3-7 pounds each week, just depending on how things are "flowing". Dr. Michelle does a quick massage on the colon pressure point on the webbed part of my hand (between the thumb and index finger), it hurts like hell, but by the time I am home my body is ready to relieve itself of all the toxins that have been building up. It is truly amazing how quickly the massage and acupressure work on stimulating my body into working normally.
The other thing that amazed me is that one day when Dr. Michelle was working on me, she asked me if I was feeling like I was coming down with a cold or sinus infection. I hadn't said anything to her about it! But all day long I had felt achy, and feverish, plugged up head, sore throat etc - exactly like the beginnings of a head cold. How did she know? She said my back felt blocked. I don't really know what that means, but she massaged my neck, face, back, and head at certain pressure points with some clove oil. I went home, did the neti pot (oooh I could write a whole post about the wonder of the neti pot), went to bed, and the next day felt awesome!
Okiedoke, I'm convinced. Like I said, I just feel better after a visit with her. Maybe its also because she kicks my ass on a weekly basis, and I guess I need that...
to be continued...
I believe in chiropractic, acupuncture and Neti-pot daily...just for good measure!
ReplyDelete